Homeschrewling

Our DIY Adventures in Homeschooling & Homebrewing

Monday, September 10, 2007

Disturbing Thoughts on the Eve of 9/11

Okay…I don’t want to become a nut-job for posting this, but I guess I’ll take my chances.

I occasionally listen to Glenn Beck—much less now than I used to—because I find him very funny and quite informative. He seems to have gone off the deep end a bit the last year or so with his Islamofascist-doomsday stuff, but I’m often glad to get those stories from somewhere since I don’t go out looking for them myself.

Anyway, today on his radio program he began talking about a series he’s doing on his CNN Headline News show this week called “The Perfect Day”—terrorists hitting multiple targets at our schools [transcript]. It’s got me a little freaked out. Not that many of us haven’t thought of such a scenario happening, especially after 9/11 and the Beslan incident [**WARNING! Graphic contents**], but when Glenn starts talking about the video he has of terrorist camps we broke up in Afghanistan showing the terrorists being trained how to round up kids and shoot them; or the architectural plans of schools here in the US that they found in Iraq; or the signs pointing to terrorists hitting schools in the Heartland with slower 911 response times so they have time to set up; or Homeland Security procedures advising parents/people not to gather at the school in case of an attack because of the secondary attacks…you know, I start getting a little freaked.

Perhaps this is just something I’m going through on 9/11 Eve…a day you remember where you were when it happened, thank God for there not being another big attack here on our soil, then wonder why we haven’t been attacked since then and when the next time will happen. It’s not something I spend a lot of time thinking about; I would probably fall into the category of one of those Americans whose life wasn’t greatly altered by it and can pretty much go about my day like it never happened. But if Glenn and others are right and our enemies are plotting to attack our kids at schools in the hopes of getting us sucked into a holy war…well, I guess that’s just one more reason I’m thankful we homeschool.

2 Comments:

Blogger Adjunct Jenny said...

Okay, that Beslan link is horrific! Ruined my day. Ruined my mood.

I recommend that our violence sensitive readers should not open that link.

The most horrific thing about it, however, is the thought of it ever happening again...anywhere. I don't know how realistic the threat to our nations schools is, but we need to pray that we are doing everything in our power to prevent terror strikes on schools.

7:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoops! I meant to add a "graphic" warning on that one after I posted...I'll get that up.

But we've completely forgotten about that horrific day those poor people suffered. I was glad to find such a good reminder of it on GP's blog.

I'm fixin' to post a follow-up to plainly state the things that caught my attention.

8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home