Homeschrewling

Our DIY Adventures in Homeschooling & Homebrewing

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Ramblings 'bout the Weekend


I love my children dearly. But even the best mom in the world (which I’m pretty sure I’m not, second only to Adjunct Jenny, of course) needs a break from the best children in the world (so far no one has contested us on that one). Thankfully I am married to the best man in the world, despite what my fellow blogger may claim on her profile, and he recognized that I needed a break. I wasn’t expecting what I got, though: a weekend alone in my own home.

Saturday morning Brewmaster and the boys made the three-hour drive to visit our folks for two nights. I don’t know many husbands who are willing to travel alone with three boys 5 and under…well, except maybe his older brother, who is a remarkable husband and father in his own right. But come Saturday morning, I waved good-bye, shed a few tears, then set to work painting our bedroom and bathroom. I wasn’t completely alone, though. I enjoyed the company of a new canine friend named Napoleon that we’ve become quite attached to. He’s not much of a watchdog. The only time I’ve ever heard him bark was at his own reflection in the window. And he’s terrified of our cat, but still a good dog.

While visiting my folks, the boys went to see a landmark near my hometown called Tower Rock, a small island a ways out from the Missouri side of the Mississippi River. It’s near Wittenberg, MO, and I doubt you could even find that town on a map anymore. Once when I was a kid (1988), the river was so low you could walk all the way out and climb the rock. I believe that was the first time in recorded history that ever happened. (The big boys are pictured here with my mom.)


This was the first time I’ve been away from all four of my boys overnight, so I was a little nervous at first. But I did pretty well considering. I definitely had some mixed emotions early
on, wondering if I should feel guilty enjoying time alone, or guilty letting my hubby use up a whole weekend taking care of them. But in the end, it was a good thing: they came back to a rested, happy wife and mother and I got fresh-looking bedroom/bathroom walls. How long rested, happy women and fresh-looking walls last is another story...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been off your blog for a long while (probably while you took a rest from it) so I just read this one today. I'm glad you had a good rest while the boys were gone because I, the grandmother of the little ones and mother of the big one, enjoyed their company VERY much. Thanks for needing a break and giving me time with them! Love, Mom Box

11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home