Homeschrewling

Our DIY Adventures in Homeschooling & Homebrewing

Thursday, August 16, 2007

The Hodge-Podge Curriculum


Here are the basics that we’re using:

RightStart Mathematics Level B
MCP Phonics Level A
Letters and Numbers For Me
The Bible

Another one on the back burner and hoping to work in, but not going to freak out if we don’t get to it until next year:

Suffer Little Children, Book One

Other books we’re reading from right now are:
James Herriot’s Treasury for Children
Egermeier’s Story Bible
Children’s Garden of Verses

Our Bible studies for now are not structured, just daily memory work and selected readings picked by Sam or his parents. My goal right now is to get him interested in reading Scripture on his own and have him familiarize himself with the books of the Bible. When we start Suffer Little Children, then it will become more structured and rigorous, but I’m not going to push that just yet.

As far as science goes….when given a choice, Sam will usually pick a science-related book over anything else. It could be bugs, space, volcanoes—that’s what gets him excited. I lucked out finding the Giant Book of Science Fun at a garage sale last summer, so when time and energy allows we can do some science experiments from that. Otherwise, anything science related will come from library books, being outdoors, or cool websites and games on the computer.

And history…do kindergartners study history? Well, we won’t be doing anything specific for history yet. We’ve been reading Egermeier’s Story Bible from start to finish--that will be our history this year.

My weaknesses will no doubt be anything that involves crafts, structured play, sports, or really anything that might be fun for kids. Lucky for me, my children know me well enough by now to not expect to be entertained all the time by me. I do wish I was more creative, though, and could come up with more fun activities on my own. Yet, despite all this, they still love me and would rather be home with me all day than off to school...well, for now anyhow!

So, what am I leaving out? Is this a good start? Too much? Too little? Good enough?

2 Comments:

Blogger Tony said...

HM,

Can I make a suggestion? I would like to recommend to you that when you start a history curriculum, that you check out Susan Wise Bauer's Story of the World. You can check it out at Peace Hill Press, the publisher. You of course do not have to buy it there. You can pick it up at any homeschooling outlet or just about any bookseller off the web.

It comes in four volumes, covering four year's worth of history, from the beginnings of civilization to modern history.

Now my wife is VERY artsy, but even for us artsy folks, we still run out of ideas. This curriculum comes with an activity book with several activities for the chapter, plus coloring pages, puzzles, and maps. The activities range from the painfully simple, cutting out construction paper and taping it together to mummifying a dead chicken (no kidding!). That was FUN btw.

It nixes planning and thinking ahead, which with five kids, they ain't much time for that. You know how that is! (not five kids, I mean, but the lack of time :)

My kids love history! And it is all for less than $50.00.

Grace for a great day in the Lord...

4:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks SO MUCH, Tony, for that suggestion. I haven't come across that one, but it already sounds like a good fit! I'm not artsy at all....musical, yes; crafty, no. And I never have any brain left for trying to come up with crafty activities for small kids.

So chicken mummies, huh? I knew there was more to us needing chickens besides just eggs!

7:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home