Homeschrewling

Our DIY Adventures in Homeschooling & Homebrewing

Friday, March 09, 2007

What's for Dinner?

I'm just now trying to get back into the swing of cooking real meals with real food after the strike I was on during/following this last pregnancy. My goal is to do this six times a week, but right now I'll settle for five. And when I say "real meals with real food" I mean very few shortcuts (processed)--preferably zero, but let's be realisitic. The few cookbooks I own tend to be loaded with shortcuts, and I just reorganized the Hoosier and left very little room for new cookbooks. So, that leaves me surfing for ideas...

There's tons of places for ideas, but this one appeals to me: Meals for You. One problem I've been having is the inability to make decisions; no time is this more evident than when I'm trying to plan meals. So, the folks at Meals for You have done the planning for me. At the top of the homepage, I just click "meals", select my "meal plan" on the left, and viola! a whole list of meals appears for me to browse. When I select a meal, I get the recipes for all the courses. I can add it to my "cookbook", add it to my "shopping list", etc....it's a miracle, I tell ya. (Yes, I know...sites like this have probably been around forever, but it's pretty new to me.) You can print them right there, but I had problems getting some of the meals on one page. So I copy and paste the recipes into a Word file and fix it so it all fits on one page, print it off, hole-punch and stick it in my kitchen binder. Genius, I know. Oh yeah--the coolest part is this: you pick the number of servings and the recipe automatically adjusts itself. Amazing.


This has been a great tool for me. I've done three meals this past week from the low-carb/low-sugar category and they've all been very good. The best was tonight's meal: Easy chicken with vegetables (delicious & VERY easy), Pasta with lemon butter (I used couscous), and Mediterranian corn salad (excellent!). Everything went so well together and it received our highest rating. (I should note that I'm not afraid to tweak recipes to my liking, and I have no issue with using real butter, salt and pepper.) I know a lot of husbands aren't usually game for trying out new fare too many times in one week, but when you've gone as long as Brewmaster without regular real-food meals, they'll be up for anything!


4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you ever try Saving Dinner by Ely (remember, you got it for me a few years ago)? That book has been a real help for me when I need to set up my menu and grocery list for the week. Most of her meals are healthy and they all use "real" ingredients that are easy to find and not full of preservatives. Plus, it's six meals a week (one is a crock pot meal--we use this on Sundays) and one day for left overs. The kids like most of the foods, too.

2:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, I haven't...but I sure am glad you're still using it! Thanks for reminding me about it. I'm gonna check it out for myself.

7:30 PM  
Blogger Hanley Family said...

ya know...the Fix It and Forget It cookbooks are great. Every week, I pick three. Most of them are so easy that my daughter (8) can fix them while I'm doing dishes and a little cleaning. Chop and dump in the slow cooker and 8 hours later, dinner it done. And a very nice one at that.

1:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks Dana...that sounds like something to check out, too. Yeah, I'm starting to see that spending a few bucks on an actual book is probably the way to go. Of course, that would require throwing something away to find the space to put it, but I think that's doable.

6:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home