Homeschrewling

Our DIY Adventures in Homeschooling & Homebrewing

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Lesson Plans: Structured and Flexible?

We’ve completed our first two weeks of school without a hitch, and so far I don’t plan on making any major changes to curriculum or our schedule. Here’s what an average day might look like, just off the top of my head:

Boys up at 6:30
Sam works on Phonics and Handwriting while I make breakfast
Eat breakfast and memory work
Speech Therapy/or if at home, free time to read, play, or finish work
Danny nap/boys Math, then coloring/craft time or computer time
Lunch and Bible story time
Clean up/free time
Naps
Snacks
Play or read
Daddy home…evening routine

One thing I’ve learned with having a new toddler around is that our time sitting down for meals or snacks (at least when Daddy isn’t at home) needs to be used efficiently. Breakfast is a great time for reciting and discussing memory work; lunchtime is usually good for reading and discussing our Bible story. I say “usually” because with a one-year-old around, you really never know what mealtime is going to be like from day to day. Some days we’ll get it done, some days we won’t.

As far as my lesson plans go, here’s an example of those, too:

Lesson Plans August 20-24, 2007

Monday

Memory Work: Ephesians 2:8
Math: Lesson 5; practice writing 5,6,8,9
Phonics: pp. 33-36
Handwriting: pp. 12-14
Reading: Egermeier’s p. 28, “Abraham’s Strange Visitors”; Herriot’s “Moses the Cat”; Children’s Garden pp. 10,11
Bible: Matt. 5:1-12
Sam’s free reading: [this is the area I’m supposed to fill in as I see him reading whatever he chooses, but I usually forget]


As far as how much time is spent on each subject…15 minutes is my goal for each subject, give or take. We enjoy math so much that we may spend 20-30 minutes some days. I started assigning four pages of Phonics at a time because he is breezing through it so fast, and it still might only take him 5-10 minutes to complete his worksheets. And if we all feel like cuddling up in my bed and reading James Herriot or Batman some days, we might do so for 30 minutes if Danny is still napping. I’m striving for “structured flexibility”, if such a thing exists. I think it does.

6 Comments:

Blogger Tony said...

Sounds like you have a firm grasp on the ninth beatitude: "Blessed are the flexible for they will not break!"

Good words this morning, HM. God bless.

5:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Tony...I like the 9th!

2:08 PM  
Blogger Lyn Lomasi said...

Sounds great!

Flexibility is one of the many benefits to homeschooling. :-)

6:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by M2L! I have to remind myself often that being flexible is okay and my kids will grow up just fine not being in the rigid confines of a traditional school setting everyday!

8:06 PM  
Blogger Adjunct Jenny said...

As you teach during meal times...when do you eat??

At my homeschool meeting last night, almost every one of us confessed a weakness in the area of flexibility. We are so eager to get through the lessons, get our chores done, get all the boxes checked that sometimes we don't let our children take the time they need on a subject or take needed breaks. We've got to get it done, so we can get on to the next thing, push,push,push...

But it is oh so difficult to keep everything in balance--yes we must get those boxes checked, get through the lessons, get the chores done but, also WE MUST TAKE TIME TO LOVE, PLAY WITH, ENJOY our children. There's just not enough time in the day!

It certainly sounds like you are off to a great start.

8:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say I "teach" during mealtime...memory work and a Bible story tend to lead us into a better conversation during breakfast and lunch than we would normally be having. Plus it keeps me accountable so I'm not tempted to sit at the computer during those times!

I often wonder if I'd be as flexible if I didn't spend so much down-time during the last two pregnancies...especially Tommy's. That one really put me through the ringer and made me change my perspective quite a bit. Plus, I'm just now starting to feel like I'm finally shedding the sloth off me after depending so much on the help of others, especially my husband.

One of my worries is that I don't push enough, so here we go with that whole "balance" thing again.

8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home