Homeschrewling

Our DIY Adventures in Homeschooling & Homebrewing

Monday, August 20, 2007

"Are You Poor?"

Goal setting…this is the first step for many of us who travel down the homeschooling road. Short term goals are easy: my child should learn how to write name, learn to read, not have fits over handwriting assignments, etc. Long term goals tend to be lofty and philosophical: my child should be a Godly role model to his peers, be the next president, etc.

One of my long term goals has always been that my children will be able to articulate and defend their beliefs. I figured it would be a continued pursuit or a goal gradually achieved and mastered at adulthood, but maybe I need to move it more into the short term goal category.

About a month ago we were out to lunch with the Headmistress and her children. Our server, Abdu, (or rather server’s helper, as his mother was our official server) was an eight year old boy whose father owned the pizzeria. He was very friendly and assertive and seemed to enjoy visiting with us while he helped his mother serve our food. During our meal he asked where our children go to school and we told him that they are home schooled. He looked at us and asked “Are you poor?” We assured him that we are not (didn’t want him to think we weren’t going to pay the bill) and that some kids just do school at home, which seemed to be enough to satisfy him.

I didn’t really give it much thought until today while I was talking with my mother-in-law. She gave me a good bit of advice. She said that my children need to be prepared to give an answer when other children ask them “Why do you homeschool?” And I thought again about Abdu and if he’d asked my sweet six year old and four year old “Are you poor?” How would they have answered? Would they have been able to articulate and defend themselves? How do I teach/train them to answer those questions?

I asked my children today why we homeschool and they told me that it’s because we get done so much earlier. Maybe that’s the best answer for them to give to another child!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post!

This is how I would imagine a conversation between Sammy and a traditionally-schooled kid (TSK):

TSK: Where do you go to school?
Sam: At home...I'm homeschooled.
TSK: Why?
Sam: I don't know, that's just how God made us. Want to play super heroes?
TSK: Okay!

Of course, that's Sam's answer to everything these days. But you're right: we do need to make sure we're teaching our kids answers to all the "why" questions that they will inevitably be asked growing up.

So what would your dream answer be for your kids to give when asked:
a)why are you homeschooled, b)why do you believe in God, and c)why do you believe that (the answer to b)?

8:06 PM  
Blogger Adjunct Jenny said...

My dream anwers from my children would only come in the form of complete sentences and without "um" and "uh."

a) "I am homeschooled because my parents enjoy teaching me about God and His world. I also get to move at my own pace and specifically explore my own interests."
b)"I believe in God because the entire earth and heavens proclaim Him. Also, because my parents believe in Him and have taught me how much He loves me."

As long as they never say:
a) "because my Mommy loves me more than yours"
b)"duh!"
c)"duh!"

9:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And don't forget to answer c) why do you believe that [the entire earth and heavens proclaim Him and He loves you]...

6:26 AM  
Blogger Adjunct Jenny said...

You caught me!

I'll get to c) when I figure out the answer!

Now it's your turn!

8:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I certainly couldn't answer a & b any better, so I won't even try. But c? Hmmm.....I'd have to go with the last line of the first song our kids learned: The Bible tells me so.

Of course, then you're setting yourself up for "well, why do you believe what the Bible tells you?" We can tackle that one another day, because right now I'm pooped!

By the way...do you get the feeling that we're going to be the only ones commenting back and forth on this blog?

8:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home