Homeschrewling

Our DIY Adventures in Homeschooling & Homebrewing

Friday, September 07, 2007

Raising Pharisees

How do we keep our children from holding others in judgment? Especially as homeschooling moms, how do we keep our children from judging those who are in public or private schools when we are vehemently defensive of our decision to homeschool?

It is true, we all know it: when we get questioned about our decision to homeschool and about the benefits/risks to our children, our claws come out. It doesn’t take much to send me into a tirade when I’ve had to answer difficult questions about why I’m homeschooling (I’m usually crying after the fact to my husband or close friends). We all have our reasons for homeschooling and they are solid and sound, but when we can sense that judging tone, it stirs up those self-doubts and secret concerns that have settled into the far recesses of our minds.

Then, for many of us, it comes out…we call it defensiveness…but we know it is pride. And, oh—does it lead to some sin! Many times, our words become peppered with cynicism and sarcasm. Or, we begin convicting others of their shortcomings, their failures or bad decisions. I found an interesting blog article, The Mark of a Christian, that talks about how we Christians “spew venom” while defending our own beliefs and in the process “destroy the vibrancy of our faith and our witness to the world.” We are so eager to defend our ideals, that we use sinful means to do it

How many times have we spewed cynical, sarcastic, judgmental words when defending our decision to homeschool? And, as our sweet children are always listening (more than we realize), we are training them to be little Pharisees. They know all our right answers, but their hearts have been trained to be prideful and their answers caustic.

So, back to the question: how do we keep our children from holding others in judgment? I’ll throw it out there for you to answer, but I think we can find one hint in Mark 12: 31 and another in Matthew 7:3-5.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, here's an answer...not a very helpful one, but...

I guess since homeschoolers are so proud and condescending, we should stop hanging around each other. The socialization our kids will be receiving from these arrogant homeschoolers could be devastating!

Better to be lowly in spirit and among the oppressed than to share plunder with the proud. (Proverbs 16:19)

Oh oh...I just remembered what you said about all our words being "peppered with cynansism and sarcasm." Whoops!

Seriously, though, I understand what you're talking about and am thankful I haven't really begun to encounter those confrontations yet. The more we can teach our kids that it's not about us and what we do and it's all about Christ and what He did, the better (which I know y'all are doing already).

We can't keep our kids from holding others in judgement if they are seeing us do it. And if they are, then we need to make sure they understand what it means, confess our own shortcomings to them, and let them watch you pray about it. Confessing our sins to God, asking for His forgiveness, and pleading with him to change your heart tends to be a pretty private thing. But how else will our kids learn it for themselves if we don't occassionally let them in on it?

9:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Btw, change that one "you" to "us" and "your" to "our" up there in the last paragraph...before I get in trouble!

9:51 PM  
Blogger Adjunct Jenny said...

Headmistress-

I appreciate your answer--exactly what I was looking for, but unable to articulate myself.

Let this be our example to our children: "Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone." Col. 4:6
That way they see gentleness in our answers, but that we can also defend our decisions.

We definitely have to lead by our example, which means turning away from our (sinful) natural inclination to annihilate anyone who questions the authority of our parenting.

8:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...turning away from our (sinful) natural inclination to annihilate anyone who questions the authority of our parenting.

Easier said than done!

So now I have a question on the flip side of the coin: how long will it take me to get up enough nerve to tell total strangers who are complimenting me on my parenting that what they see isn't me but Christ in me? I just came back from a day of speech/lunch/Walmart and had two or more such instances at each place (I'm not exaggerating or bragging here...still in disbelief) and each time I was at a loss for words because I feel so inadequate at times. I just want to scream out "God's infinite grace and mercy keeps me sane and upright" but am too cowardly to do so. Sorry...not on topic here, but now it's your turn to answer one of my tough questions: how do you get over giving answers about how you really feel and worry less if people will think you're one of those freaky nut-jobs whose always talking "Christianese"?

1:31 PM  
Blogger Adjunct Jenny said...

I have no answer for you (very embarrassed) because I seem to rarely have the courage to speak "Christianese."

I tend to give the world exactly what they are looking for...a worldly answer. Yes, my entire post on raising pharisees boils down to just one line "usually crying after the fact..." I am so brave and vibrant and quick thinking and thoughtful answering...after the event is over. Most of the answers I'm able to give have nothing to do with how I really feel.

Maybe my "real" feelings are a bit too worldly at times and that's why my answers are mostly the same? I wish I was a bit more of a stranger is this world.

2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home