Homeschrewling

Our DIY Adventures in Homeschooling & Homebrewing

Saturday, January 27, 2007

He's back.....



Sorry I've been gone for so long, guess I haven't had anything to say in a while. Here's an update on the homebrewing.

I just bottled my third batch of beer, an Irish Stout (if you remember my second batch was thrown out before bottling), and I'm ready for kegs! I spent about 3 hours this morning, although you can't call it a waste since the end product is homebrew, but that was about an hours longer than last time. I did have some extra cleaning to do this morning, since I had the beer in my bottling bucket for my secondary fermenter. I normally would secondary in my glass carboy, but I ran out of sanitizing solution and my bottling bucket was sanitized, and there was ice and snow on the ground and I couldn't get to the store to buy bleach, so this morning I had to rack the beer into a sanitized carboy, clean and sanitize my bottling bucket, and then rack again for bottling. What a pain...bottling is not the funnest thing in the world to do.

On another homebrew note, my good friend from Champaign, IL, just informed me that his wife gave him a deluxe homebrew kegging system for Christmas...with 2 kegs, 2 tappers, a CO2 bottle, regulator, etc., man I'm jealous. He already makes good beer, so I can't wait to see how this new addition to the family will improve his brew!

My next batch is going to be a lighter beer, hopefully with a little more hoppiness to it, probably an English Bitter or ESB, not sure yet. I'm sure I'll brew it long before I ever tell the blog, but if any of you want to recommend something for this summer, let me know.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Am I finally going to get to taste all this homebrew that you are making? Love, Mom Box

6:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting such wonderful pictures of Tommy and Danny, but where is Sammy? Love, Grandma Box

6:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, good question: where is Sammy? Brewmaster posted those, and many times it just takes so long to post them (stinkin' dial-up). However, after going through our most recent photos, I've noticed that our beloved eldest son has really been missing out on the photo-ops here lately. I'll see what I can scrounge up with my next post...whenever that will be.

As for the beer, didn't you have not one, but TWO opportunities--once up here and once at Christmas? We'll probably wait about four weeks before trying the stout that he just bottled...should be good for my birthday! And to be honest, it really doesn't look like a real stout. It looks a lot like his brown ale...but you'll probably have to wait a few more months before trying something lighter--more up your alley!

11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home