Homeschrewling

Our DIY Adventures in Homeschooling & Homebrewing

Monday, November 13, 2006

Not Looking Good...

Or should I say not smelling good. I checked my new batch last night and while it is starting to ferment, it's not smelling like it should be (or atleast what you'd expect fermenting beer to smell like). I think the long lag time (the time it takes from the moment you pitch the yeast to when active fermentation begins) really hurt this batch, so I now have more equipment that I need. Next time I'm going to make a yeast starter so that they can get to work right away!

Sorry if I'm being too technical (translation: if you're just too bored with all of this). If I had a brew buddy around here I could share all of this with him, but since I don't I get to bore all of you who actually read this stuff!

And if you're interested in tasting the beer, you'll have a better chance of doing that if you either show interest in me making the beer or if you buy me equipment that allows me to make better beer!!!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, does your house smell like the Anheuser brewery? I never did care for that much when we'd go on a tour. However, I will be brave and try your brew at Christmas or whenever we're together.

What's up with the facial hair? Are you observing "no-shave November" like your bro-in-law with deer season? Ha!

The pics of the boys are adorable!

Love, Sis Jen

12:00 PM  
Blogger Me said...

Yes, the beard is in honor of my fellow deer hunting brethern (although I technically don't hunt...I'm with them in spirit)!

It's really a beer brewing beard...gotta keep it 'til I drink MY first beer!

And the house only smells like a brewery on brew day. Many people probably wouldn't expect the smell, they probably think it smells like beer, but it actually smells more like freshly bailed hay.

6:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would love to taste your beer if you want to share it! (Although dark beer really isn't my "cup of tea.") Since you made it, I'm sure it will be delicious! Love, Mom Box

6:13 AM  
Blogger Me said...

Well we got you to drink Fat Tire & Scottish Ale, so I'm sure you'll be able to get one of mine down!

8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, the beard is in honor of my fellow deer hunting brethern (although I technically don't hunt...I'm with them in spirit)!

Dear, how do you "technically" hunt? Does your desire to someday own a rifle and possibly unload it while aiming at a deer count as hunting? And if you have actually done that then you have "technically" hunted? Just wondering. Don't worry...I'm sure someday you will join your deer-hunting brethren and actually technically hunt. And if not, then perhaps your calling is to provide them with quality beverages at their deer camp. Everyone has their niche...

11:24 AM  
Blogger Me said...

Well, I have hunted before (shot a frog and a turtle dove with a bb gun when I was 10), so maybe I should have said, "my fellow hunting brethren who shoot deer"...

Whatcha think? Is that more accurate?

8:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home