Homeschrewling

Our DIY Adventures in Homeschooling & Homebrewing

Friday, October 20, 2006

Don't Worry, Be Hoppy

Fermentation is progressing along nicely! It's definitely slowed since Monday, when fermentation was at its greatest. And let me tell you, the beer "burps" that are coming out of my airlock smell awesome, nothing like the beer that I put in there on Saturday. It has a very sweet smell, almost fruity, possibly from the 2 lbs of honey I put in 40 minutes into the boil.

Tomorrow morning I'll transfer it into my secondary fermenter (a 5-gal glass carboy), then I'll get my first look at the brew. The closet in my basement under the steps has worked well for fermenting. It's out of the way, completely dark, has a near constant temperature since there are no supply air grills and has a concrete floor in the event that I spill something. I think I'm going to clean out all of the stuff under there and deck it out with shelving, lighting, hooks...basically I'm going to turn it into my little brewery.

And for an update on my bottle search, I'm doing no better than I was the other day. I have put some feelers out with some guys at work, but that hasn't resulted in anything yet, so tomorrow I might scavenge MU's football stadium parking lots after the homecoming game...wish me luck!

1 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

Hi there,

Thank you for your recent comment over at our blog.

On the same topic, I was just reading a recent newsletter "Family News from James Dobson" (I am not a huge Focus on the Family fan, but we do receive their newsletter.) Did you see it? Here is an excerpt:

"Some estimates indicate that 10 to 15 percent of them [1.2 billion Muslims in the world] hold to the view that infidels ("non"-believers" in the Islamic faith) deserve to die. That would mean 120 to 180 million people are committed to our destruction."

The point of the October 2006 newsletter is basically encouraging Christians to vote on November 7th.

Anyway... welcome to the world of blogging! It is great to see how the Lord has prompted you to homeschool.

Nice to "meet" you!

9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home