Homeschrewling

Our DIY Adventures in Homeschooling & Homebrewing

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Home Schooling 101: Introduction

In our first post we explained how we came up with the name of our blog. And you know why we're homebrewing (yum). But some of you might like to know why we decided to homeschool. This can be a pretty tricky question to answer, especially because it's usually asked by those who don't homeschool and don't know many people who do. Sometimes I find it hard to not tailor my answer to suit whoever is asking the "why" question; you can't help wanting to impress others. The urge to stress academic excellence among homeschoolers is hard to suppress when an academic type asks why, as is the urge to stress the faith issue when a religious type asks. When confronted by family members and close friends who send/sent their children to school, you worry about offending them in some way...as if when learning of our decision to homeschool, they're really hearing "if you were good parents like us, you wouldn't have sent your kids to school". There's this fear lingering over us that people will look at us as that pretentious little homeschooling family whose kids are too good for school. Then again maybe these concerns of mine are unwarranted. Perhaps they're just the feelings I used to have about homeschoolers before taking the plunge myself.

Not quite a year ago I was asked by my sister-in-law if we were going to homeschool. No way, I said. I was going back to school once the boys were in school (including preschool). We had tossed around the idea of homeschooling and how it seemed like a good thing to do, but I wasn't fit to teach my children. I don't even have a degree. Not long after that conversation with my sister-in-law, my heart grew very heavy. I was looking at a college for organ/sacred music and checking out houses on the market in that town thirty minutes from here. I even loaded the two older boys in the car and drove around the campus and town, and planned on calling the organ professor and discussing options for me and my education there. But my heart grew heavier and I couldn't understand why. For the first time I thought I was finally on the right track moving in the direction that I wanted to go. But this homeschooling thing kept coming up and I kept pushing it aside.

Then I started praying for help with my mothering skills. I was very sick with my third pregnancy and feeling disappointed with the job I was doing as a mother of two small boys, so I prayed and prayed for energy, patience, and the wisdom to be a better mom. I didn't get much energy or patience, but the flood of homeschooling thoughts and ideas wouldn't stop raining down on me. I resisted for a while but finally gave up...then the peace, joy and understanding that only God can give descended on me like the warmth of the sun after a cold rain. I thank God for being patient with me while I walked down my path, and praise Him for leading me down His path!

The answer "because God told me to" probably won't satisfy a lot of people when asking why we're going to homeschool...although I personally can't think of a better reason. But if people keep pressing for other specific reasons, I think the answer I'm going to start using is "why not"? And since this post has exceeded my length-limit that I wanted to abide by on our blog, I'm going to close with an invitation for anyone to comment or ask questions. Remember, you can post a question anonymously if you choose.

For those of you looking for a picture of those adorable boys: So sorry...it won't let me post one and I've tried four different times! Hopefully Brewmaster can get it to work with his next one.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting blog, glad I came across it! I just have a few comments/questions for you.

First, you sound a little defensive about your decision to homeschool, why do you feel like you need to defend your decision?

Second, you never really answer your own question "why". Is it for academic reasons? Religious reasons? Both?

Third, what are some of the problems you see with the public school system? What about private school? Is your particular school district that bad?

And finally, don't you worry about the socialization skills that your children would build being in a larger group setting like a classroom, whether at a public institution or a private school?

5:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like Tommy likes his food! Grandma would have loved to kiss that sweet little face!

6:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I should have mentioned that I'm seriously considering homeschooling my two elementary age children, mostly because of the school district we're in and we're not Catholic (the only private school in town), but I'm very interested in your take on everything.

6:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow...I wasn't expecting all the big homeschooling questions at once, Lora! But I can understand why they're going through your head if you're considering pulling your kids out of school. But first I want to make it clear that we are very new to homeschooling and I am certainly no expert; we have a lot to learn and we're hoping this blog will help us as well as others.

Now getting to all those questions...I reread my post and can see why you think I sound defensive. I think it's pretty typical for someone to sound defensive about homeschooling when they're just now in the "coming out" stage with all their friends and family. Brewmaster and I aim to please, and it's hard for those we're closest to--mainly those who aren't familiar with homeschoolers or homeschooling--to just want what's best for those little souls we're raising. So we probably think that we have to work a little harder to persuade our friends and family that we're doing this because it's what is best for OUR family. But sometimes you will certainly come across those people whose comments are less than positive (downright mean, to be honest)! But we also have an urge to promote homeschooling because we love it, we think it's better for families, and we would love to convince as many people as we can to do the same.

As for "why", the list of reasons is very long, so early on I made a list of reasons why not to homeschool. The only thing on my list was "I could have all day to myself to do as I please". Sounds really tempting, but pretty selfish! When deciding to homeschool, you need to be absolutely clear on your goals. Ours is raising children in the nurture and admonition of the Lord, and ensuring that they love the Lord with all their heart, with all their soul, and with all their might (yes, I'm quoting Scripture). That comes before any other reason. That's not to say that there are no other reasons, though. We also think they will excel academically at home, and after getting over the "I'm not fit to teach" hump, I'm absolutely convinced I can give my kids a better education than anyone else because I know them and I'm way more committed to them excelling.

The main problems we have with public schools are the typical problems with any gov't beauracracy (mainly wasteful spending), sex ed, peer influence, anti-Christian leanings...I'll be here all day if I list them all. I don't think private schools are all bad, and will opt for a private school if I become unable to homeschool. But I don't think they are completely immune to some of the same problems that gov't schools have.

And finally to your last question about socialization. This is the question that comes up more than any other, I think. This is one of the biggest reasons we are homeschooling next to religion. This argument holds absolutely no water with us. What makes everyone think that sticking your kids in a classroom full of other kids their age will make them little social butterflies? My boys have never been to daycare or preschool and have no problems jumping in and playing nicely with kids. They may grow up not talking, looking, or dressing hip, but those are all plusses for us. I don't care what so-called experts say about social activities for young kids, what this study or that study says--it doen't matter to me. My kids are so sweet, socialable and very well-behaved, and I'm going to do everything I can to keep society from tarnishing them. So does that mean I will shelter my kids? Absolutely...I will shelter them, feed them, clothe them....! :-)

Thanks again, Lora, for checking out our blog. I hope I've been more thorough. I urge you to continue visiting us in the future, as I'm sure I'll be writing more in-depth on many of these issues.

7:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree that homeschooling has positive benefits. It gives you control over what your children are exposed to. I might however suggest you be mindful of selective learning. Though it is important to ensure that our children are not 'tarnished' it is also important to make sure they understand the world around them. Do remember that though we live 'for' the next world, we live 'in' this world. Public school education may employ methods and subjects you don't approve of, but there are lessons in them that we all must learn if we are to function and guide our society.
In raising children, whether home or publicly educated, we have to have faith in ourselves that we gave them the tools they need. More importantly, we must have faith in them that they will make the right decisions for themselves.

9:15 PM  
Blogger relieveddebtor said...

Excellent response! Maybe I'll get lucky and my wife will jump on board to the homeschooling bandwagon as well. For now, we fear retribution as we have two public school teachers in the family, one of whom actually likes it.

11:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent point, Anonymous...my next post will deal with this more in depth. I think Brewmaster wants to weigh in on this debate as well.

Glad you got the email and found the blog, relievedebtor! And I know what you mean about fearing retribution from those close to you...after praying long and hard about it, I'm sure you'll get over that!

11:44 AM  
Blogger Me said...

I think that's one of the greatest misconceptions about homeschooled (HS) children. HS kids aren't raised in a vacuum void of all contact with the outside world. On the contrary, HS kids have many more opportunities to get out and see the world. The freedom offered to parents and their kids is great, they can take a field trip whenever they want, turn a trip to the grocery store into a math lesson, spend mornings volunteering at a local soup kitchen or hospital, the opportunities are endless. Plus parents have many more chances to instruct their children on the existence of evil in this world and how to have a biblical world view...something you can do if they attend public schools but it's much more difficult.

3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home