Homeschrewling

Our DIY Adventures in Homeschooling & Homebrewing

Monday, October 16, 2006

Things are a brewin'!


My first batch of beer is now in the primary fermenter (a 6.5-gal plastic bucket) and fermentation has begun. The brew on Saturday went pretty well. I started at about 11:00 a.m. and finished around 2:30 p.m., so I think after some of the lessons I learned I'll be able to get it down to a couple hours. Not that it needs to be rushed, though, because it was a rather enjoyable experience (part of the reason I'm doing it)!
I've also compiled a short list of things that would have made things easier, and also may have positively affected the final product, so for any of you out there wanting to buy me something for Christmas, I'm sure Headmaster would be more than happy to pass my list on to y'all!!!
I'm still on the look out for dark colored non-twist off beer bottles, if anyone has any laying around. I've got about 2 weeks before I'll need to bottle my beer, so here are my options at this point if you don't pull through for me...
Time Before Bottling My Game Plan
14 days out Ask friends / coworkers / acquaintances for some
10 days out Resort to begging (including strangers)
7 days out Swing by the local bars on Monday morning
5 days out Call every frat house in town
3 days out Commence dumpster diving at the local recycle drop offs
1 day out Buy 2 cases of expensive beer and throw a party
Headmaster is not real thrilled about many of these options, and since we only have 2 friends in town the party thing won't get us too far, so if any of you have any better ideas I'm open to suggestions.
I'll also post my "do's and don'ts" of brewing your first batch in subsequent blogs, so please check back often (we really like comments even if it's short...it atleast lets us know that you're out there)!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could you use old Bud-Light bottles? I think I have some in my garage? Love, Mom Box

9:23 AM  
Blogger Me said...

I can't use twist-off, and most domestic beer use those. If you and Dad want to relive your trip to Germany and buy some real beer (just kidding), I could definitely use those bottles.

My bottle count is now at 28 and counting...I have to get to 50 within the next week and a half...

11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home