Homeschrewling

Our DIY Adventures in Homeschooling & Homebrewing

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Rational Thinking or Procrastinating?

I’m up to my neck in homeschooling research these days…mostly curriculum browsing, but still tweaking my general goals and philosophy. We know our main goals of homeschooling (Christ-centered education in a family that will grow and learn together), but I keep going in circles with methods, styles, etc. The flavor of the week: Charlotte Mason. I remember reading a very small bit about her philosophy in my earliest research days, but this past year I tend to forget about one particular method when I learn about a new one that intrigues me. One week I like Classical, the next unit studies, or some days I think I will put together my very own curriculum…one never knows which way I’m leaning in any given week. Last week I actually told a friend that I think I’m going to “breeze through kindergarten” with Sammy this semester. I certainly could if I wanted to, but should I really do that with a four-year-old just because I know he could do it?

After some prayer (I wish I could say “much prayer”, but I need to do a lot more praying before I can make that claim!) and much thinking (that’s accurate) on how to start out with Sam, I think I’ve come to the conclusion that I don’t need to rush him or myself. I think this next year (or at least ½ year) would be better served if I continue to educate myself and continue praying about my plan of action, as well as focus on getting well and enjoy motherhood with three young boys. It would be so easy for me to stress myself out and push the two younger ones aside while I turn Sam into some little genius who could go on local TV shows and name every volcano in the world, or something like that. But what would that really accomplish? Would that fit in with our overall goals? Is that something that would really bring glory and honor to God? By not filling Sam’s smart little brain with all the facts it could possibly hold, am I severely short-changing him in some way? It’s hard having such a bright child and not wanting to miss every possible opportunity for developing his mind to its fullest potential, at least by society’s career/socioeconomic-driven standards.

But, in the end, I know that God is leading my efforts these days. He’s showing me things in Sam that I haven’t paid much attention to before, probably because I was reveling in my own glory of having such a little smarty on my hands. My ego was soaring from all the accolades I receive from friends and strangers alike who compliment him and praise me for spending so much time with him. I “humbly” (heh, heh…who am I kidding) tell them that we’re just trying to keep up with him, even though my memory immediately flashes back to our days of only having one child and all the time we were able to devote solely to him. It was certainly a joint effort; we spent an enormous amount of time working with him, but he made teaching him easy with how well he remembers everything.

These days I recognize his need for developing his creativity and giving him time to be bored now and then (thanks, relievedebtor, for your outstanding post echoing my thoughts on this!), as well as learning how to set a good example for his younger brothers by taking time out of his busy play-schedule to sit down and be silly with them, sing with them, tell them stories, etc. It’s nice to finally realize how much more joy and pride I feel seeing Sam play peek-a-boo with Danny or superheroes with Tommy than showing his smarts off to others!

So I think I can have it both ways: I can still find ways to challenge him academically (that sounds so weird saying that about a four-year-old!) while relaxing a bit as I enjoy watching him be the superhero of his choice (it changes daily) and build “Space Shuttle Discovery F-15 Rocket Ships” out of Megablocks. Not to mention all the attention I can give his younger brothers while he’s off in his own little world content with an “inter-battery robot” (that would be the Energizer charger for rechargeable AA/AAA batteries) or a whisk and spatula fashioned together to make a special sword. Well, there’s that Cinderella book he got from his great-grandma for Christmas that he’s able to read on his own…perhaps I should rethink letting that one go.

I think the Charlotte Mason bit is so attractive to me right now because she didn’t advocate formal schooling for kids under six, wanting those early years to be spent playing, exploring (under mom’s strict supervision, of course), and forming good habits, especially on paying attention and focusing on the subject at hand. I’m excited to get my hands on more books about her method and see how it would work with our family. My first thoughts are that it would be a very good fit!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I came to this same conclusion with Katherine:)

12:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have no idea how I got here, but have enjoyed looking around. One suggestion, think about what "smart" is going to mean to your boys. I did a post about this last fall, and the books it mentions are worth the read.

http://daveshearon.typepad.com/daveshearon/2006/09/theories_of_int.html

Dave

7:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by, Dave. Not sure how long ago you commented, as I've been away from the blog for a while. But I thank you for your input and reading suggestions. My research these days has dealt mainly with homeschooling methods and philosophies, not the psychology behind education. I'll check into those books.

As far as how you wandered here, do you read Rambling Prophet? That's about the only place I ever comment. I read several blogs regularly (or try to) but rarely have time to comment. I'm not sure why that is...:)

9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home