Homeschrewling

Our DIY Adventures in Homeschooling & Homebrewing

Friday, December 15, 2006

Note to Self: The Purpose of Homeschrewling is...

Now that I’ve decided the blogosphere hasn’t contributed to my headache problem, I ventured to my favorite homeschool blog to see what’s up. I’ll tell you what’s up: she split…just like that. All of a sudden, on December 5, Spunky tells us all “adios”. This should make Jeremy quite happy, as he always griped about a homeschooling mom of six spending so much time blogging. But she was very faithful to her following, constantly keeping us informed on the latest news regarding homeschooling, education, current events, etc., and always provided useful commentary to help me see these stories from a Biblical worldview. She must’ve taken cues from Jerry Seinfeld, leaving on such a high note. I will miss her.

I’m sure I will come across other useful homeschool blogs; I just haven’t taken the time yet to sort through them. With Spunky’s, I just came across it, liked it, got my fill of information and left it at that. We were just talking to our good friend who was here for a visit last night about blogs and the sheer volume of information out there; there’s not enough time in the day to read all you want to read. And when it comes to writing, there are so many other freaks out there like us who are all saying the same things (of course, most of them are much better writers than me). It’s not like we’re being original or saying something that hasn’t been heard before. So what’s the purpose of blogging anyway?

My first reason for doing this is simple: to help get things straight in my head. I’m not a very good verbal communicator. I don’t pretend that I ever was a good one, but nowadays with bouts of fibro-fog, I often have some pretty slow word recall issues and, quite frankly, can’t keep a darn thing straight in my head. I can stop mid-sentence and wonder, now what was I saying? And—poof!—it’s completely gone. So for me, writing about issues that need to be sound in my head is a great help when I need to verbally communicate them to someone. And I’m sure that’s true for many folks, not just those of us who have a condition that we like to blame our flightiness on!

Another reason I like to blog (despite my hiatus—there shouldn’t be anymore of those, I hope) is to inform those of you who know us what’s going on—not just what’s happening with the boys and seeing cute pictures of them, but learning what issues we’re dealing with and what’s on our minds. I’ve heard from several readers that know us personally that they’ve learned more about us from the few posts we’ve made than they ever learned hanging out with us. I imagine that’s because I’m more likely to rant about what I’m thinking in my writing than in the middle of a conversation: no non-verbal cues here to make me bite my tongue! And although you can find the same opinions on a gazillion other blogs, chances are you’re not seeking them out. Our audience seems to mostly consist of people who know us, perhaps even love us, and who want to find out what’s going on in our lives, how our homeschooling and homebrewing adventures are coming along, and what issues might have us fired up on any given day.

So, to sum up: my goal for this blog is to share my thoughts and feelings in hopes of getting them straight in my own head, and to engage in discussion when something particularly interesting comes up.

Please stay tuned as I get back into the groove…

3 Comments:

Blogger Lyn Lomasi said...

Hi. I Found your blog in a search for other homeschooling blogs. While I know we all, including me, usually have the same things to say, I still like seeing what others are writing. And, Guess what? Probably no surprise, I was a reader of Spunky's blog as well. It will be hard to find someone else who does what she did. I loved her blog, too. Good luck on yours and if you feel so inclined, check mine out. I'm also at blogspot.

The Homeschooling Mommy

3:33 PM  
Blogger Me said...

Just to clarify...it was George Costanza who "left on a high note" in the show...I guess you're referring to the actual show "Seinfeld" which left the air on a high note....

10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are correct, dear Brewmaster: I was referring to how Seinfeld, the show itself, went off the air in its prime...something that Jerry made a point in "The Burning" (season 9) to George, helping him to understand the importance of leaving on a high note when delivering his jokes to his coworkers at Kruger. It certainly worked for George in that episode...only it led Mr. Kruger to have feelings of always wanting more of George because he was always "on", therefore dismissing the rest of the staff and leaving all the work for George. And it worked for the show itself (compare the sentiment of Seinfeld when it left primetime versus Friends--"so soon?" compared to "it's about time!"). And it certainly worked for Spunky and her blog--just check out all the comments upon her announcement that she is done with the blog!

12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home