Homeschrewling

Our DIY Adventures in Homeschooling & Homebrewing

Friday, October 26, 2007

Sacrifice


I'm sure there will be people, maybe even family, who will question us about letting our children be so different and letting them constantly talk about God. It came to me (I call it my mini-revelation—I know, cheesy) that, in a way, we are offering our children as sacrifices. We are willing to let them not fit in, not know the new songs, new shows, new fads. We are even willing to let them be teased, humiliated, even hated by the world because they have different priorities and interests and loves. We are willing to submit them to emotional (perhaps even physical) pain because we know that it is the right and most important thing for them to love the Lord our God with all [their] heart and with all [their] soul and with all [their] mind and with all [their] strength (Mark 12:30).

I think of Abraham offering up his precious son as a sacrifice; his obedience is beyond comprehension. He was obedient to not just allow Isaac to experience pain and suffering and death, but that he would bring about Isaac’s pain and suffering and death. So many times I have thanked God for not testing my faith in that way. I’m perhaps revealing too much, but I’ve often said “I just don’t know if I could do it.” Even though I could never compare my faith to Abraham's, my mini-revelation gives me a little better understanding of Abraham’s willingness to sacrifice and to be obedient.

Also, reminded of Rom. 12:1, whenever our children are suffering or hurting or sad or humiliated, we suffer with them. We cry over their physical pain, but even more so, we cry when they experience embarrassment or hurt feelings. I cringe inside when my sweet Gracie’s artwork gifts are misunderstood by the recipients or when Nathan gets ignored or patronized by the grown up with whom he’s so deliberately trying to share a story (usually the Gospel). We are offering ourselves as living sacrifices because of the hurt we experience on our children’s behalves.

I guess to wrap up my mini-revelation I’ll say that I want to be obedient as we continue to raise and school our children--I pray that my heavenly Father will continue to grow my faith. What is faith? Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see (Heb. 11: 1). It is believing even if every one else does not and being willing to die for what you believe. Faith is sacrifice, sacrifice is worship (Rom 12:1), worship is to love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength (Mark 12:30).

9 Comments:

Blogger BDoCDaddy said...

I think that your view of our children being sacrifices is accurate. We are raising them with the intent of them being set apart from the world. Our hope is in them coming to a point of saving Faith in Christ at an early age. This faith will be seen by their fruits. Their actions will set them apart. I dont want them to be driven by the world with its materialism, lust and pride. They will learn not to be ashamed of the gospel of Christ. They will learn that each time they are insulted, ridiculed or persecuted, in their weakness, He is strong. Why would we want them to value anything else when He is the Way? Just like Peter said when Jesus asked them if they wanted to leave Him--Where else would we go?

9:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think another problem many of us face is when others--even other Christians--not only question our willingness to "sacrifice" our children, but question our desire to be obedient to Christ (and I should probably add I'm not referring solely to homeschooling, or by not homeschooling you're not being obedient, etc.).

I've had someone relay their concern to me before of how some Christains (I think the reference was geared toward us Reformed Presbyterians) get too deep and make things more complicated than they really are, that all we are to do is believe in Jesus and not stress too much about "all the other stuff". And while that is true for salvation itself, we shouldn't disregard "all the other stuff" simply because our salvation isn't dependent on anything we do ourselves.

I think a problem we often run into is when other Christians feel like they're not "doing enough" in our eyes, therefore leading them to believe that we are equating our fruits to salvation itself. And whereas a real saving faith will result in good fruits, our fruits are not the object of our faith: Christ is.

Trying to get others to see that our hope is not placed in what we do but solely in what Christ has done for us can be very tricky when we have that burning desire to be obedient.

7:53 AM  
Blogger Adjunct Jenny said...

Jill-I agree with you...

"I think a problem we often run into is when other Christians feel like they're not "doing enough" in our eyes, therefore leading them to believe that we are equating our fruits to salvation itself. And whereas a real saving faith will result in good fruits, our fruits are not the object of our faith: Christ is." (you're going to have to teach me how to do quotes sometime)

...we play too much of this comparison game!

Also, let me say that it is not easy to "sacrifice" our children's ability to fit in or experience what others are getting to do. I still lament the loss of trick-or-treating. I lament that my children know there's no real magic and that they have always known the truth about Santa. But what I am truly lamenting? Only fond childhood memories of my own that I think they would have also enjoyed...I know these things are only temporal and hopefully we are instilling in them a desire for things eternal.

8:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure how I can even show you on here how to make things in italics...it will be tricky because what I type doesn't show up, only the italics part!

If you notice on the bottom of the "Leave your comment" box, it mentions that you can use HTML tags and then lists a few...b=bold, i=italics, etc. So rather than using quotaion marks for your quotes, us a "" (I put it in quotes because I'm not even sure if it will show up since it's a tag...we'll see) and no space before your bit you want italicized; then to close it, rather than a closing quotation mark, use "". Now let me post this comment and see if it works, otherwise I'll have to find a sneakier way to let you know.

11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, it didn't work so I'm going to have to be sneaky...

Open quote= < then i then >
Close quote= < then / then i then >

Apparently you can put spaces between the tag and your phrase and it won't matter.

Hope you can figure this out!

11:49 AM  
Blogger Adjunct Jenny said...

Let's see:

Hope you can figure this out!

Jen

2:10 PM  
Blogger Adjunct Jenny said...

Got it.

Now, if we just had some more readers and comments...

2:12 PM  
Blogger Me said...

I loved your most recent comments and thought I'd comment on it since you're soliciting more comments. Maybe next you can explain how to bold text...

Just kidding.

On a more serious note, I really enjoyed your blog, Jen. When I first started reading it the other day I just assumed it was HM's post, until I got down to the part about Grace and Nathan and then I was like, "what is she talking about, what does this have to do with them?"

The part about Nathan trying to talk to adults and getting ignored especially rings true to me. I think that's a good measure for someone's heart, watch how they listen to (or don't listen to) young children and you'll generally get an idea how they view themselves. Does that make sense to you or am I a little confusing?

Thanks for posting this, I needed that encouragement.

7:16 PM  
Blogger Adjunct Jenny said...

BM-
Okay, that's funny. I think I'll just call you Brewmaster--thanks for the comments. I agree with you, I think that's a good measure for someone's heart, watch how they listen to (or don't listen to) young children and you'll generally get an idea how they view themselves. (Nice, huh?). It also makes measure of their patience! It's something I have to work on with my children--being an engaged and enthusiastic listener. My involvment in early children's ministry has certainly taught me a lot; they know when you are listening (and not listening)and it shows them that you care!

1:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home